Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ashanti in "The Wiz" on Broadway!!!! REALLY?

I'm not happy with the casting announcement of Ashanti, (the has been R&B singer) playing the lead role in an African American Musical, at Encores this summer in New York City. "The Wiz", also has the hopes of  a revival on Broadway.  I'm an actor, and a working one.  I work really hard, and train, to master my craft.  Some people might not like my performances in some roles, so with that said, this is just my particular opinion.

I think Ashanti is beautiful yes, and looks young enough for the role.  But I don't believe she is a draw to bring big box office.  I also don't think she can sing, enough to handle the challenging role.  Not to mention, her acting is hideous.  There are a ton of beautiful young gifted unknown talented African American women, who would dream to play that role.  Why bring an OK talented name into a show, that I would love to see succeed.   I'm sure some African American girl in college 20 years old, at The Boston Conservatory or Cincinnati Conservatory, or some college with so much talent to give the world is waiting for that break.  I would prefer to see that in the role.  I know I know, people think Broadway is dying....  That they need  to have a name.  OK, if your going to get a name, why Ashanti???? Does she even have an album out?  There are many celebrities who could play that role and be brilliant!!!!

Now in her defense  I haven't seen the show.  I pray to GOD that she proves me wrong!!!!  But they have a clip of her singing the song "Home" from the show on www.broadway.com.  I was horrified by the acting, and more horrified by the screaming and strain of the last note.  

I had to get this off my chest!!  So what better way then to blog about it!!!  I will say this on a positive note, the rest of the cast list, looks excellent!!!!  But Dorothy has to carry the show!!!  We shall see what happens.  Please ASHANTI prove me wrong!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I watched the video, I wouldn't even vote her to be american idol! She was ruining the song by screaming it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we really are the same person. i didn't blog about this but when i heard about it i had the same reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, hon. I get they need a name. But maybe they could get Usher as the Scarecrow? That'll bring 'em in more than Ashanti. The ones coming to see Ashanti will be coming to see how poorly she does, and that's just not fun for anyone.

    ~Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be an awesome idea...and something that I want to see. Usher would be an amazing scarecrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete