Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Six Degrees of Marvin Hamlisch


I had the honor of performing in a benefit performance for the musical pianist and musical director Fran Liebergall, who is living with M.S. When I got the email asking if I would participate, I immediately said yes, as Fran musically directed me in A Chorus Line a couple times in my career. I had no idea that the night would be so life changing and star studded. It was a beautiful evening, which begin with Sammy Williams (Original Paul in ACL) singing "Who am I anyway". Joel Grey started us off with his famous song from Cabaret, and it was amazing to see this man perform live on stage. He was so inspiring, nice and fantastic. Then I got to sit back stage and rehearse with Donna Murphy, Donna Mackenie, Victor Garber, Robert Lupone, Lucie Arnaz, Priscilla Lopez, Billy Stritch, Marvin Hamlisch, Liz Callaway, and many more. It was honor to watch them rehearse and work, and to stand next to these folks on stage, and perform. To hear there stories, and how Fran had touched there lives. To have a brief chat with Lucie Arnaz, was surreal, ummm, Lucille Balls daughter, and Desi Arnaz, WOW!!!!! To see many old A Chorus Line Friends, and not from the revival the older A Chorus Liners that I worked with when I was just a boy. To watch the original cast of A Chorus Line, ex specially Donna Mackenie do part of the Cassie Dance, and sing "that" famous song, brought tears to my eyes. To sing "What I did For love", with Donna Murphy, next to me crying, while Priscilla Lopez belted it out and Marvin Hamlisch behind me playing the piano. This night gave me inspiration and chills. I enjoyed every moment and I will cherish this unexpected gift. It was great to have Fran scream at us even though she can't play the piano anymore. To hear her scream "I need more middle harmony", just made me so happy. Some things just never change, and I loved every moment of it. It was interesting to see how so many of us are connected by one composer's genius work!

No comments:

Post a Comment