Saturday, November 21, 2009

DREAMGIRLS

I have always been obsessed with the musical "Dreamgirls", and I probably know every song, every line, and every beat in that show! It is apart of my history in theater, and is one of those shows that has helped me to dream of what I want to do for a living! I haven't seen a good production of "Dreamgirls" in my life, I always see the show, and I'm disappointed at something! Thursday evening the cast of A Chorus Line, (The X Cast of ACL) got free tickets to the revival tour of "Dreamgirls", because it was a Michael Bennett work, and we share producers!

I walked into the legendary iconic Apollo theater, with a joyous spirit, this is where it began for many artist! To see the musical "Dreamgirls" in this space was so appropriate to the show, the era, and where this show takes place! Some people claim the story of "Dreamgirls" is the true untold story of Diana Ross and the Supremes! However Diana Ross denys it, and claims that it is a work of fiction. Even though the parallels to the Supremes and the musical is very evident! I sit back in my seat, greeting all my fellow X Chorus Liner's, I felt very safe, because I didn't feel unemployed anymore. I felt like I was still on tour with the cast in some random city! Anyway, the show begins, and too much my surprise this production was revived and was brilliant! I loved every moment of it, from the amazing costume changes, to the jumbo trom projectors, to the extreme talent on that stage! I was twisting and turning through the music, and enjoyed every one's performance. Those folks on that stage was sanging there faces off, and I can't imagine doing that eight times a week! The choreography was amazing, a new take on Michael Bennett's work, and I usually don't like change to this musical, but it was all for the better. One of the highlighted choreographed moments was "Stepping To The Bad Side", this was off the chain! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying not to tell you too much blog world, because you have to see this national tour!!!! It is so hard for me, because I want to tell you everything! Just trust me it was an awesome experience, and wonderful unexpected night in theater. Three actors to mention of stealing the show was the characters Effie, James Thunder Early, and Lorelle! All three were superb and went home with the show in the palm of there hands! The Lorelle was my favorite by far though, she was the most well rounded, actress, singer, and dancer! Some scenes left me speechless with chills up and down my spine! I advice everyone to go see this production of "Dreamgirls" you will not be disappointed! One of my favorite shows brought back to life, and done in a way that everyone will enjoy it!

7 comments:

  1. Aww, that's awesome--I so wish I could have been there with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned that you probably know every song and line... me too, however, one of my favorite pieces, Opening Act II, was replaced with a new piece, What Love Can Do.

    I am not happy that my favorite piece was replaced, but what do you think of the opener for Act II?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that, the song lacked luster! However, I didn't really mind the change in the opening of the act!!!! It is nice to see a fellow "Dreamgirls" fan on line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was 16 (back in 1982-- before you were born!!!), my best friend and I saw Dreamgirls in Los Angeles. Jennifer Holliday came to LA for a year to perform her part... and I have never, ever experienced anything like her voice, as it was like pure electricity (of course, I loved the other performers too).

    I had a surprise chance to meet Michael Bennett as well, as my friend and I drove to the theater in the morning (we have tickets for opening night and were nervous that we had never been there before). While we were walking around the complex, I saw this bearded man who looked familiar. I walked up and said, "are you Michael Bennett", to which he smiled and nodded... then I said, "We've been waiting a year for your show to come out here". (I must have sounded like a schoolgirl).

    Anyways, that was my one-and-only meeting with greatness. I wish you could have the seen the musical as HE directed it. In the early 80s, other directors did a relatively good job at maintaining the integrity of the original show; however, over time, things get inadvertently changed, or forgotten, or misunderstood (don't even ask me what I thought about the movie).

    I will see DG when it comes out to LA in March, but they still cut out my favorite song (Opening Act II).

    Lastly, you will roll your eyes when I tell you, but I have only seen the movie version of A Chorus Line (I know, I know). That is one other show I wished I could have seen live and authentically directed by Bennett.

    Oh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome Mark! Well, you will be happy to know that our tour of A Chorus Line along with this tour of Dreamgirls..Is produced by the Michael Bennett estate! A Chorus Line stayed true to the original..As Bob Avian Michael's assistant directed, and the original dance captain Baayork Lee, and original Connie Wong, restaged his choreography! Dreamgirls didn't stay true to the original but I still loved it! Enjoy the show when it get's to LA!

    ReplyDelete