Sunday, August 15, 2010

How I got my AFTRA card

I wasn't going to write about all the unions I am in, but since I started my other series on my Equity, and SAG card. I couldn't find myself to leave out the last and final union that I am member. Anyone can get there AFTRA card, you can just buy into it. It doesn't have rules like Equity and SAG, which make it a little hard to join there unions. I honestly, wish SAG and AFTRA would merge, because it would make my life much easier! Anyway, many years ago, I took a soap opera class with a casting director, and I was learning how to be a soap actor. I started out at the bottom of the class, I must say, as this genre didn't seem like a fit for me. As you all know, I work my ass off in class, and can't stand being in the bottom. One week it clicked, and I went from bottom to top. In the final presentations, because of the uneven number in the class. I was asked to do two scenes instead of one. Which led me to a week after class ended, being cast on All My Children. I did ten episodes, started off an extra, moved to under five, and on to a day player. Which forced me to get my AFTRA card, however, I froze that sucker, so I don't have to pay dues. I never use the AFTRA card like I use my SAG and EQUITY! Anyway, I am in three unions, and my series on how i got my....is all finished...LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment