Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How I Got My Equity Card

Right out of College (The Boston Conservatory), I went to Germany, and lived in a tiny town called Bochum. Where I performed in a musical called "Starlight Express"! I lived in Germany for a year and a half, and traveled throughout Europe. Then decided to move to New York City, with one big credit under my belt, I was ready to take on the world. I refused to do jobs as an non-equity member, so I was turning down gigs left and right. Then I audition for a new musical, that was workshop with the hopes of coming to Broadway. The musical was called "Bingo Long and The Traveling All Stars", (BIG FLOP) in which I played the role of Skinny in the musical. When I negotiated my contract, they wanted to hire me as non-equity, so I turned it down. Then they came back to me with a plan, they said if I did the show as a non-equity member. The last two weeks of the run, they would give me my equity card, and they offered me a equity contract. I agreed on this deal, and that is how I joined the union. I was scared at first of joining, cause I thought this meant I would never work again. As we serve a good GOD, I was blessed with booking Jesus Christ Superstar starring Billy Porter and Emily Skinner. Which was a life changing show for me, and I met most of my best friends from that show. Then was blessed with booking my first really big production contract: "Annie Get Your Gun", starring Tom Wopat and Marilu Henner. My career took off from there, and I kept working with some struggle in there, from time to time. The career kept trucking through, and I worked, and worked. That is how J.R. began his career, and I hoping for more stories to come, on conquering T.V. world as I did the stage!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment