Monday, November 29, 2010

For Colored Girls


I saw the film a while back, but wanted to wait and ponder on this movie for awhile before I did my promised blog entry. I actually didn't mind this film, even though it got panned from critics. It was way better than I thought it would be. Tyler Perry did an amazing job reconstructing this book of monologues into a sequence, that actually made sense. It was a hard movie to sit through at times, as sometimes the truth about your culture hurts the heart more than expected. The cast was all A list and I was amazed by every one's work. All except one person, and I will mention that later. The highlighted performance for me, was Thandie Newton, Anika Noni Rose, and Phylicia Rashad! This movie was highly anticipated for me, and I didn't leave feeling numb like most African American women I know did. I left enjoying peoples work, it didn't make me feel the way I wanted it to. The one moment that got on my nerves was the cough, that Janet Jackson, kept doing ( I am sure directed to do so) it was so unbelievable and took me out of the moment. As they "indicated" that she was getting sick from her homo-Down Low- boyfriend. I know many people with HIV who don't walk around with a random cough. It would have been a stronger choice to just surprise us the audience, with the sickness, with the papers at the end, instead of giving away the final surprise! BAD ACTING CHOICE OR BAD DIRECTION!!!!! Other then that, everything seemed quite on the up and up! I enjoyed the actors work, and I would love to give kudos to the beautiful new comer:Tessa Thompson!!! Now to the performance I hated in the film, and it was so disappointing for me, it was Whoopi Goldberg. Her performance was contrived and not honest enough for me. I will state this by saying I am a huge Whoopi fan, and will devote my next blog entry to her. I can't dog my girl without giving her praise. I think Whoopi is an actress who needs a good director to help her along to find her character. This did not happen for me in "Colored Girls"! This film is all about the folks acting, and a must see for great performances!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment