Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Favorite Movie..."The Color Purple"




My favorite movie of all times is "The Color Purple", and I decided to revisit this film the other night. It is amazing how I find new moments that make tears run down my face. It is interesting how relevant this movie is today as it was twenty five years ago. I also can quote a ton of scenes in the film, and I almost got the script memorized. Steven Spielberg is a genius, and his attention to detail is brilliant in this film. He captures the period, essence, and this culture as if he was African American and was born in this time period, like he lived this depressed experience. Spielberg brings the best out of the actors, and even finds humor and joy through out this film. This to me is still today his best work ever, and I can't wait for the blue ray version of this film to come out on Jan. 25 2011! This movie has some of the best acting in the world in it, this ensemble piece is so extraordinary as every actor was amazing! It is also some of the best work some of these actors have ever done. Whoopi Goldberg, and Oprah for instance would do there best work in there film lives in this flick. Although Whoopi won an Oscar for the movie Ghost, which is superb performance, Ghost can't ever measure up to her work in "The Color Purple". That year was intense as "The Color Purple" had many nominations, but was robbed in my opinion of all them. It should have been best actor, actress, supporting actress, best direction, and even best picture..I can go on and on....This movie should have cleaned house at the Oscars!!!!! I haven't seen any movie that can come close in my eyes to touching the work done in this film. We have come close, but no cigar for me. That is how highly I praise this film!

"The Color Purple", is celebrating its 25Th year anniversary this year, and they were on the Oprah show last night. I learned some inside on the film that shocked me. It was thrilling to watch this beautiful cast together on Oprah. News flash for me was that Whoopi and Oprah who haven't spoken in 20 years, because of petty "he said she said", break there silence and confusion. The Oprah show had me laughing, crying, and just in awe of the talent on stage. Learning inside information on the casting process, was one of my favorite moments on the Oprah show. Finding out that in the dinner table scene, they were all tore up from partying the night before. My biggest surprise is that Oprahs "Sat in that jail cell" speech was all improvisation. As it is one of my favorite acting moments in the movie. It goes to show when you are connected to a character, that the right thing will just flow out of you, whether scripted or not! I have to to give a shout out to Danny Glover and Margaret Avery whose performances are riveting in the film.

This movie is in a class of it's own and hasn't been replaced yet as my all time favorite film ever! I honestly don't know if it ever will......

No comments:

Post a Comment