Monday, September 28, 2009

MEMPHIS





Who would have thought that a little town called Memphis would have so much history, and culture to see! I bragged earlier about all the live music, and the good food! I had no idea I would come out of Memphis inspired and seeing the world with new eyes! This week has been a joy as a tourist, and I'm glad I finally made it here!

GRACELAND

Now mind you I appreciate Elvis, but I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but I said to myself, "If I come to Memphis, I had to go to Graceland"! I'm glad I got a chance to go, and see his tacky house! LOL! That house was the most tacky thing I have ever seen, but I loved it! It was easy to see how excited a man who had nothing, got rich, and decided let's decorate! The very gaudy home is thrilling and each room just more tacky then the next! I enjoyed the ranch, and the horses, and the history lesson on "The King"! It was weird to walk out to his back yard, and pay respects, because Elvis, his mother, his grandmother, and dad were laid to rest, right there in the backyard!

Elvis' car museum, was my favorite section of the tour, it was the highlight for me. I loved every car he had, and wanted them all. The other great part was trying out Elvis' favorite sandwich, Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich! It was an interesting taste, and I actually enjoyed it. I think I will try and make one when I'm back in the city and hungry for something really fast.

The very interesting thing about Elvis' and why many African Americans don't appreciate him.....Because he didn't write any of his music. Most of his music, was stolen from our people, and he just made it famous! However, I will give Elvis credit, for having a unique sound, and knowing how to "Wow", an audience. You can't take away his talent and stage presence. Did you know that Elvis won three Grammy awards, and they were all for his Gospel Albums!??? Graceland was a very interesting experience, and I went through the whole thing with mixed feelings. At the end of the day, I still recognize Elvis as a genius, one of a kind performer, and a legend!


GUS' FRIED CHICKEN

OK, if you are ever in Memphis you have to go here! This food was the most amazing fried chicken ever. Now you have to know how much I love fried chicken, to understand that if I make this statement it must be true! This chicken made you wanna hit your daddy! The Potato Salad, I'm sure had crack in it, cause I left fending for more!


CIVIL RIGHTS MUSEUM

The turning point, and highlight of my whole trip was the civil rights museum! This museum is beautiful, inspirational, and powerful! I walked through, with so much emotion, every corner, I turned, I felt a hurt, because this was not that long ago! Look what my mother, and grandmother, had to go through! Look at the struggle and fight, they had, and how they were treated! This museum, has so much history and power in it! In one exhibit, I sat at the back of the bus, in the colored section, and remembered how brave Rosa Parks must have been! I watched African Americans get yelled at, and called Nigger so freely! I listened to tapes of John F. Kennedy, phone calls, to stop the hatred! I sat in the colored section in a restaurant, and got to feel what it was like to be crammed together, and separate!

I remembered stories that my grandmother told of being so fair skinned, and passable, that she would get away with sitting in the front of the bus. Her sister's would also let her move to the white section at the movie theaters. They would tell her go down front, cause, you can pass! Interesting that people just thought she was a white girl. Imagine if she would have gotten busted, and someone found her out! Would she have been so brave as Rosa Parks?

Then the most emotional thing came to me, and I felt a presence and a spirit above me. I got to walk through the Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King was shot! I stood in room 306 and looked out the window, and saw where he was standing in April, on the day he was murdered. Oh, but the tour wasn't over, and you went across the street to another museum, and then, you stood in this dirty bathroom with a small little window. You got to look out the window and stand where James Earl Ray was standing, as he took Dr. Kings life! This was the section of the museum, that had so much power! You got to see the FBI tapes, His getaway car, the gun he used! WOW POWERFUL STUFF! This all went down in Memphis Tennessee!


DUCKS AT THE PEABODY

Everyone said you have to go watch the ducks at The Peabody Hotel (Which is a stunning Old Hotel), it so amazing! I marched over to the hotel, to watch the ducks march out of the elevator and into a fountain in the center of the lobby! Then I saw ducks just sitting in the fountain! There was definitely ducks, and water. That was it, and I guess that is all I have to say about that!




As you can see my Memphis experience had more thrills then expected, and if you are ever here, please go to the Civil Rights Museum! Much Love To All My Blog Family! "We Shall Overcome Some Day"!

2 comments:

  1. JR, how fascinating that your grandmother was so fair she could pass as white--what a different world that was. But maybe still not different enough, considering the stuff that happens today. And like I told you, I really wish that I had gone to the Civil Rights Museum--I blew it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed our fair city. I grew up in Memphis but then moved away for 20 years and have just been back a few years. I have to agree that going through the Civil Rights Museum was the most moving experience I have ever had. Also, I wanted to say that I so enjoyed seeing A Chorus Line and am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Memphis - come back any time.

    ReplyDelete