Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Everyday Rapture



I went to the opening night of the musical, "Everyday Rapture", and it was great to go to an opening night in New York City. I ran into so many friends, and it was night filled with excitement, red carpets, passion and critics. "Everyday Rapture", was basically a scripted one women show, with two background singers, telling the story of the life of Sherie Rene Scott! The writing of this piece was brilliant, and was so funny, but came off to me like a "Don't Tell Mama's" cabaret. It is hard to sell a cabaret at the Broadway level of performing. If you are not Patti Lupone, Liza Minnelli, or Elaine Stritch real Broadway royalty, you better step up to that plate with avenges! Sherie Rene Scott, doesn't have that power, and I don't know if she ever will. Her voice is meek, but yet stunning, and very recognizable. She does very corny riffs when she riffs, I prefer to hear her sing the melody straight. The quiet moments in her show were her best. There is no denying her gift as a vocalist, the girl is talented, I just missed the "it" factory! The thing that lacks with her to me is her stage presence/believability. Even as she told the stories of her life, it seemed like a character voice, and I felt no truth at all! Honesty is what I search for in every performance, and when I see a show, I wanted to be captivated, and not thinking about my facebook page at moments. The highlight of her show was this alto (one of her back up singers) who had the presence and soul in her voice! Her name is Lindsay Mendez, she really captivated me when she was on stage. Tons of my attention went to her, and sometimes, in the vocals I would only hear her, tuning out Sherie Renee Scott, don't know why my ear did that! Hey, I am just being honest that is what happened. There is also an amazing show stopping moment in the show, that had me at the edge of my seat! It was so so fun, and entertaining, and sorry to say it again, it had nothing to do with Sherie Renee Scott! It was this little boy Eamon Foley, he comes out on that stage, and takes the show in his hands, and leaves with it! I don't want to tell you about the scene, because it something you have to see. This young boys talent is extreme, even in his over the top performance, I left wanting more! Now I will end this blog entry, with the fact that, this is my opinion. I hate panning performance, but I think I have to be honest to my blog readers. I love Sherie Renee Scott in other Broadway shows, and just didn't like this one. Mind you, the friends I was with loved the show, and the TONY voter's did too, as she was nominated for best actress. So I wanted to state that, and you will have to go and form your own opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment