Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fences




It was like a dream comes true, when I got to sit six rows back in the orchestra and watch an extraordinary revival of Fences on Broadway! It has been 23 years since this production has last seen the bright light of a Broadway stage. This production of this play was so well directed, and staged brilliantly! I might have changed some of the set design, being that I am from Pittsburgh, and have been to the Hill District many of times, and the set didn't feel like home to me! It was an extra nice experience for me, as I could envision the neighborhoods, and identify with the text when it spoke of different things, streets, and just plain Pittsburghese!!!! With that said, I need to give a large BRAVO shout out to the late August Wilson, who writing is so powerful, thought provoking, real, and timeless. This man was a genius, and gone way too soon. I'm not just saying that, because he is from my home town. LOL August Wilson was a true genius, and now as an older man, I can realize his talent even more.

To see the shows stars, and folks I idolize, (Denzel Washington and Viola Davis) on stage was so awesome for me. Did they live up to the hype? Oh yes they did and more. I now am a huge fan of both of these actors, and wouldn't miss a thing they do on stage and film. Viola Davis, is the real deal my friends, and her performance is honest, stunning, and magnificent! Some of the choices she made, were so off the wall, and worked so well, that I couldn't help but tear up! Denzel Washington, has a new take on his character Troy, and you don't just think of him as a butt hole. You realize that this man, truly does care about the people around him, although he has a harsh way of showing it! Denzel had some moments that reminded of me the great James Earl Jones, and I was thrilled to see the man in action up close. The other highlighted performance for me was Stephen Mckinley Henderson, who has such a heart in his simple, honest, beautiful performance. I also enjoyed Mykelti Willamson, who played the same character he played in Forrest Gump, however, he does it well. I also say if it ain't broke, then don't fix it! My two least favorite performances were that of Chris Chalk and Russell Hornsby! Although, I will say that Hornsby last moment in the show was beautifully done. Hornsby performance throughout the rest of the piece felt very contrived and not real to me. Which is unfortunate for a man with so many credits, and maybe I saw him on a bad night???? Chris Chalk on the other hand, lacked the passion needed to convince me that, his dad is crushing his dream of football! Chalk's performance was OK, but I would have done more homework, and dug deeper to find more moments. I will say this Chalk and Hornsby criticism by me, (just J.R.) wasn't that I thought they were horrible. They were just OK, and I am being nit picky and wanted different choices, and more honesty in the moment from both actors.

All in all Fences is a must see if you are New York City. For three reasons only: Denzel, August and Viola!!!!! This piece is probably the best acting I have ever seen on a stage, LIVE! RUN TO SEE FENCES! You have to see why this show is nominated for 11 Tony Awards!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, Denzel and Viola are both so beautiful...second of all, I love to hear the movie stars translate well and powerfully on the stage, too. I think that live performance must be quite a test--especially if you are used to being able to just do another take, if the scene didn't go so well.

    Kudos to the actors! and Kudos to you for seeing brilliance and getting inspired by it as it challenges you to keep growing. YOU are inspiring, JR:)

    ReplyDelete