Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Remembering Lena




The legend, pioneer, beautiful, smart, talented actress Lena Horne died yesterday at 92 years young. Lena has paved the way for us African American actors, and was known for being very out spoken. In many ways, she reminded me of my grandma, when I look at younger pictures of my grandmother, Lena Horne always came to mind. Maybe it was there very fair complexion, and as young adults, almost being able to pass for white. This was Lena Hornes claim to fame, being the actress that could pass, and the white people could except back in those days. Lena was not happy about this, and wanted it to be about her talent, and not her look. She was known to have a big mouth, (Like My Grandma) and she would tell you like it is. However, Lena ran into Hollywood, and opened many doors for us as a people. I can honestly say, "we" wouldn't be here today without this beautiful pioneer. I always felt a special kin to Lena Horne, and sorry I never got to meet this legend! There was a story that I heard that particularly pops in my head. Lena wanted to live in Beverly Hills, and at the time, African Americans couldn't live there. Lena got her white attorney to buy the house, behind the white folks back, and she moved in. The white folks were so pissed off, that they started a petition to get her moved out of Beverly Hills ASAP. In the end, the petition didn't work, because the late great comedian Milton Berle stopped the petition. Isn't that an awesome story? I hope they finally make a movie of her life now that she has passed. Lena has inspired, with glam, acting chops, a jazzy sultry voice, and an amazing outgoing spirit. She will be missed, and I will carry her spirit with me. RIP LENA HORNE!

No comments:

Post a Comment