Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Finding Me 2

Last night, I woke up way too late from a nap, and had to rush to get in the shower, dressed, out the door, and to the C train to acting class! You see my sister was in town, and wore me out, from doing so many fun tourist things. We had a blast in the city together, and now I was so tired. I was kicking, screaming, and fighting on my way to acting class. I actually didn't want to go, and was giving myself so many excuses to just sleep in. However, when I got there, I got this really dry, comedic, scene, where I had most of the lines in it! I memorized the scene, (which is tough when you are half asleep), but I did it. Not as fast as I did last week, but what the hey! We blocked, filmed, the scene and it went great! I learned two most interesting things about myself at the end of the day. One being that I can do comedy, and that I am funny. The class was laughing so hard at my scene, and the teacher said I have perfect timing. I had no idea, because I was just saying the lines, trying to be honest, and find the truth in the character. This was fun and new for me to make people laugh. You see all my career, I'm cast as this dramatic actor. Now I know I can be funny, and play the sarcastic, dry, types of comedy. The second thing that was said to me during class was "That he cast me wrong the whole first few weeks of the class". He assumed I would always play the nice, good, friendly, guy! Last night this character was dark, and a big butt hole! My acting teacher said "you should play the dick more often, you are so good at it"! Which brings me to my second discover in class last night, the bad guy is fun, and I can flourish in it! I actually felt more comfortable playing him, then the nice guy the other weeks in class! Lastly, after class, I asked my acting teacher to type me racially. He said I have a gift for playing many races. This gift that has been a CURSE during most of my career. He thinks "this gift" will eventually open many doors for me. Right now he says I read the most middle eastern, and Latino! There was no black in there, yet again, but I will take it. I will now try and use this rainbow of a race, as a gift!!!! It has distracted, deterred me, and GOD made me this multi racial looking creature. I will try from now on to use my multi-culturalism as a positive, casting people will think what that want. I will attempt to give them everything they need in the work, and not worry about what image I give them, and let them decide. This is a new thinking in a good way, in my direction. Acting class ended up, being, yet again an amazing evening. I'm so glad I went, and it is nice to learn and grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment