Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Innocent Ignorant Girl

I took this one day class on how to market yourself in the entertainment industry, because I'm bad at the business part of the show! It is not called "show business" for no reason at all, and me and business don't mix! I'm good with doing my gig, and being on the stage or in front of the camera. However, marketing, promoting, and schmoozing is not my thing at all. The class was very interesting, anyway, we got on the topic of type. I started to speak about how being bi-racial could be a drag, and sometimes I don't get cast or looked at for African American parts, because small minded casting people don't think I am black enough! Then the drama began in the class, a very nice looking Caucasian girl said " I can see why, because you don't talk black"! When I tell you every African American in the class almost jumped out of there seats and killed the poor girl. How does a black person speak? You mean to tell me, because I don't speak with Ebonics, slang, or unintelligible does this mean I don't speak black? Racism at it's best was yet again presented to me in the weirdest form. Which I never expected in a liberal acting workshop in New York City. The girl started to cry, because even the other Caucasians in the class jumped down her throat! I spoke with her after class, to explain why it was not the most intelligent thing to say to a African American or any other race. I truly don't think the girl meant any harm, and just didn't know any better. I am sure she learned a huge lesson even more than marketing herself, hopefully she learned about people, and race!

No comments:

Post a Comment