Friday, April 2, 2010

The Man Bag Saga


When I was in Japan, I found this cute leather "man bag", that was calling my name. At first I was uncomfortable with buying a "man bag", I thought to myself is this to effeminate? Is this a purse or a proper "man bag"? Anyway, this bag was calling my name, and not to mention, I didn't want to always carry a big old book bag. When all I needed was a bag that would fit my chap stick, wallet, keys, camera, and maybe my journal. I went inside and purchased my first "man bag"! Which I use all the time on days that I'm not going to an audition or the gym. Those days are amazing to just walk around with a very light bag, and always have my essentials.

I walked into a Guitar Center store with my roommate the other day, and I was asked to check my "man bag"! I didn't mind checking my "man bag", because I love to try and follow the rules. However, I became very upset later, while walking through the store. I looked at my roommate with her big old purse wrapped around her arm. I said "Didn't you have to check your bag", "No" she said, and then I got upset! As I slowly started to realize she could carry that big old purse, with her life inside of it, around the store. I couldn't carry my small little bag with chap stick, camera, wallet, and keys. Now I started to feel like this was unfair, and I was just discriminated against because I had a bag and was a man. I fumed as my blood pressure raced, temper flared, and my mind got a little wonky. Trying to smile as I walked through the store, and be a good co-shopper with my roommate. However, I would look down at her big green bag, and I was ready to waltz back up stairs and say give me my "man bag" back NOW! I tried to relax and took a deep breathe, and like a crazy actor, tried to remember this moment, just in case I had to use it again for some character. LOL! Next time I go into guitar center I'm going to refuse to check my bag! If a girl can walk through with no problems, then so can J.R. Whittington!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha way to stand your ground JR (or at least NEXT time!).

    ps love that man bag. :)

    ReplyDelete