Tuesday, June 15, 2010

2010 Tony Award


Hey, where is my Tony nomination???? I guess I have to get a lead in a show to get nominated! OK OK OK I will try, and keep holding on to that dream! So was I watching the Tony Awards or was this The Oscars or Grammys? In the attempt yet again to make the ratings high, The Tony awards is pulling out all stops to make it full of celebrities. If they would just stay true to who they are, I think the telecast would do much better. Why did Greenday perform twice? I am so confused!!!!

One of the great parts of the Tony telecast was the host Sean Hayes, his performance on the show was hilarious! My favorite moment of Sean's was him running through the audience singing "Don't Rain On My Parade", in a Spiderman costume. His jokes were theatrical, political, and so relevant to the audience that was watching the show. BRAVO SEAN HAYES!

Just like 2009 The Tony had major sound problems, and it is appalling that it happened two years in a row! EEEK! Fire the sound guy please!

I'm going to say something that could get me in so much trouble, as I have many friends in this show. However this my blog, and I have to be honest and it's just my opinion! MEMPHIS sucks, and I can't believe it won The Tony for best musical! That is just an awful show, with a terrible book, terrible over staged choreography, and the music sounds straight from a cruise ship! IN MY OPINION the best musical of the season was clearly FELA, and they got seriously robbed!

Another crazy moment was Catherine Zeta Jones singing "Send In The Clowns", although she seemed emotionally connected. The head bobbing was killing me, if she twitched her head one more time, I was going to run on stage and snatch it off. I know she started in musical theater, but couldn't they direct to her, to focus her head. It drove me up a wall!

Denzel Washington, although, I love his performance in Fences, but his speech, came across as not caring, and blah! It was not hopeful for a major celebrity! Or inspirational for someone like me who idolizes his work. He needs to pull up, and if you gain weight, find a suit that fits!

Christin Cheneowith, officially gets on my nerves..I know that is a sin to say. I appreciate her talent, but I'm sick of that squeaky voice, and annoying persona! America has embraced her as there sweet heart, when meanwhile she is ANNOYING. However, I would not want to see another actress play, Glinda in Wicked, or Sally in Your A Good Man Charlie Brown, as she was superb in those roles. I will never take away from her gift, but yet she is becoming more and more self indulgent. I miss the honesty she used to have, although corky, yet honest, and pure. All of that is gone, and she needs a break to rethink it, I believe!

Highlights for me; Scarlett Johansson deserving win and speech, Bill T. Jones win and speech, La Cage performance, Fela performance, Sean Hayes Everything, Be Be Neuwirth and Nathan Lane presenting, Lea Michelle belting out "Rain On My Parade", and my favorite moment of all times Viola Davis speech and overly deserving win!

The Tony Awards all and all, were entertaining, lots of surprises this season. I just hope we can get back to being honest to the work, and not trying to sell tickets for tours, and ratings with celebrities.

No comments:

Post a Comment