Friday, June 4, 2010

The Commercial World

I have been in a five week commercial class, that my manager made me go take, here in New York City! I want to thank my management team for doing so, because it was a flawless experience. I am taking class from one of the biggest commercial casting directors in New York City, Barry Shapiro! I was so pleasantly surprised at how amazing this class has been for me. I have learned so many tricks to the trade, and how to get people interested in me as a commercial actor. I will miss this class, because we not only learned tricks, but we had a blast while doing. Barry is a man full of knowledge, and you can tell he teaches from the heart. He is very direct in his approach, but so much fun at the same time. I will be so comfortable auditioning for Barry, because I have the inside on his likes and dislikes. This commercial world is so foreign to me, because it is taking all your acting training, and throwing it out the window. It is just making faces, and playing heighten emotions in a very swift period of time. Some things we learned was dissecting commercial copy, performing solo short and long copy, cue cards, eating on camera, improv for commercials, and dialogue auditions. The most exciting part about this for me, is after taking this class, I have just booked my first commercial agent here in New York City. I will be sent out on those types of gigs, and will feel so comfortable auditioning for this interesting world. I'm truly, proud of myself, for taking all these classes, and now being able to try and make it all happen. Wish me luck on my film auditions and commercial auditions, here goes trying to live the dream! FYI blog friends, If you want to do commercial acting Barry Shapiro's class is highly recommended!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to be in New York immersed in all that is creative!!! That is awesome. Funny how are lives are so backwards. I started with commercials and now and trying to get in the acting world. Good luck with your endeavors and I can't wait to hear about your commercial bookings!

    ReplyDelete