Saturday, June 26, 2010

The New Karate Kid


I am the biggest Karate Kid fan, and loved the movie franchise when I was a boy growing up. I was so excited to see the new incarnation of this iconic film! WOW, did this movie, live up to the first incarnation! It was cinematography at its best, the land scape's and the view of China was stunning! However, when the film first began it took me a moment to get into it. I felt like that took too long with the opening sequences, and the introduction of the characters. I thought to myself in my seat, hurry up, and get to the point and the heart of the film. The bulling aspect of the film really got to me, as I lived some of these scenes, being bullied as a child. It was easy to connect to all of these moments, ex specially the boy hiding behind trees and cars to be so afraid to walk home! Although, the fighting scenes on the streets got on my nerves a little, I felt like I was having a stroke, as the director chose the shaky camera approach. HATED IT! When they finally got around to it, and Jackie Chan made his first fighting entrance. The movie finally began for me, and I was taking on a beautiful journey, that give me chills at times. My hairs stood up on my arm, and my heart pounded. I also found myself biting every nail off my fingers! Jaden Smith is definitely Will Smith's son, and there is no denying it. He is so charming, honest, pure, and amazing in this film. Some of his facial expressions remind me of his daddy, but still holding onto his own persona! Jaden must of trained so hard for this film, because his physical work was extraordinary! The heart and the shocker of the film to me, was Jackie Chan, his performance was so amazing! It was so nice to see him in a dramatic role, and he handled the character with Grace! I almost would dare to say that he was better than Pat Morita, OK, I will say it he was better than Pat Morita. If you seen the first movies, you would know Pat Morita was amazing! Jackie Chan took this movie, and stole it from everyone else involved! Much praise to Jada Pinkett Smith and her husband for producing a work of art, that was just as good, if not better than the first!

4 comments:

  1. i just saw this movie the other day and was surprised at how much i liked it! i didn't have any desire to see it but my mom was taking my niece and nephew so i decided to go along. i love when you go to see a movie you think you won't like and you walk away loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, so good to hear from you, and yes it is was a beautiful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im dying to see this movie! Glad you gave it a great review. I am obsessed with Jaden ever since he did the Pursuit of Happyness - what a brilliantly talented kid! If only I had those chops at his age!

    Ok.. finding time in my schedule to go to the movies now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy you have to do it, it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete