Tuesday, October 13, 2009

WHO DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP?





As a child, I sang and practiced hard to sing like Teena Marie, Sade, and Whitney Houston! My audition song for the Rogers Junior School of the Performing Arts, was "The Greatest Love of All"! I stole every riff, and held every note, that Mrs. Houston had. But the question is, who did I idolize, inspire to be, Dream of there Career, Study Hard on Video and tape? Three gentlemen came to mind, Cab Calloway, Gregg Burge, and Sammy Davis Jr! These three men, gave me hope, and there old school ways of performing was an inspiration to me! Sammy had style, he could dress, he was cool, and hip! He had a presence about him, and style that no one could touch! Cab Calloway, was the Harlem renaissance man, performing at places like the cotton club! He scatted, he was also a cool kat, and I studied his every move! 20's jazz, Duke Ellington, to this day is my favorite music to sing, and wanna of the genres I sing best! Gregg Burge, danced his face off, and he was a triple threat! The Original Richie in the A Chorus Line Movie, and Sophisticated Ladies, was my all time favorite works of his! I still haven't seen a jazz dancer, that can jump, and turn like he did! Now I idolize someone different, a man who I respect, and I would love to work with! His name is Jeffrey Wright, and he is one of the most talented African American actors in the business. Denzel who? Is what you would say after seeing his work, on stage, and screen! Angels in America Movie, Shaft Movie, Martin Luther King HBO film, Ali, and many many more! Not to mention his amazing captivating work on the Broadway Stage.

RIP Sammy Davis Jr., Gregg Burge, and Cab Calloway

Question of today.... who is your inspiration, and why? Who do you want to be when you grow up?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Jeffrey Wright! He is sooo good! I'm still trying to figure out who I want to be when I grow up. But one thing's for sure, I'm getting there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I just wrote a similar post about Paula Kelly before reading this...we are the same person! LOL! Love u. ;-)

    ReplyDelete