Friday, September 10, 2010

Death at a Funeral vs. Death at a Funeral





I watched both the British, and the American version of "Death at a Funeral". The British version is way, way, way better. The British know how to take a story and be funny, and yet still be amazing actors and bring the drama. The American version follows the same plot line, even using some of the same lines. This movie (American Version) was produced by Chris Rock and has some of the funniest comedians in the business in it. However, it just doesn't come close to the original (British) version. It is as if the American actors were trying hard to be funny, unlike the British who just play the scenes very straight, and it makes you laugh so hard. Chris Rock I think is one of the funniest men alive, and is great at stand up comedy, however, he can't act at all. Although I will say he has grown as an actor, because he started off the worse. Highlights in the American cast is Columbus Short, Martin Lawrence, and Danny Glover, these three are the best in this version. In the British version the highlights in the cast is the whole cast. Everyone is amazing in that movie, it is hard to reproduce that feeling the British actors have so naturally. If I had to pick a favorite in the British version it would be Peter Vaughn. I am in amazement with his work, and want to see him do more. Special mention in the British version has to be Alan Tudyk and Mathew Macfadyen. That last monologue performed by Macfayden was so brilliant, and I almost put my head down in shame listening to Chris Rock attempt it. The common and interesting thread in both pieces, is that they use the same small person, in both movies,(Peter Dinklage) he gets to play the same character, twice, with two different casts. This must have been a thrill, and an interesting experience for him. I will say the British version did make watching the American version easier, if I hadn't seen this first, I would probably be bored!!!! I think it is worth taking the journey and seeing both pieces for yourself, let me know what you think blog world???

No comments:

Post a Comment