Friday, September 17, 2010

My First Tornado


I was on the phone gabbing away with a friend, when she stops and says "turn on the news, there is a tornado watch in Brooklyn"! I immediately turn on the news, and see that the tornado is scheduled to hit at around 5pm. It is 4:30 so I think I have to walk Brewster quickly, before it gets bad around these parts. I go out and walk Brewster, it is sunny outside, and seems a little more windy than usual, but didn't think nothing of it. When all of a sudden, I see thunder and lightning from a distance way down the street. A huge cloud was following it, and as it gets closer to me, I see this wind and a spinning natural disaster ready to take me up like Dorthy in "The Wizard of Oz"! I think to myself "This sure looks like twister weather"! I pick Brewster up in my arms, and decide to run like hell for my apartment complex. I am running so fast, and am so scared, I truly thought this might be the end of my life! The wind is picking up, the rain from the distance has reached us, and a fear has come over me. I pick up the speed a little, drenched from the rain fall, I make it in time to reach the front door of my apartment. I watch from the window, as the tornado takes down cars, and trees in my neighborhood! I thank GOD I made it, because I can't imagine what it did to that tree, it could have easily had done to me. There are others watching with me, some of us drenched, some just watching, because they never seen an actual tornado. I'm so glad and thankful that Brewster wasn't Toto, and I wasn't Dorthy! Thank you GOD!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. JR--this is amazing! I am jealous; I wish I had seen that tornado, too...and I am so glad you guys are safe.

    but man, tornados in Brooklyn?!? What is this world coming to??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks boo...It was so scary, but AMAZING to see....I have never seen anything like it in my life. It is crazy, because everyone said "tornado's don't touch down in New York"! Boy were they wrong!! The neighborhood was a disaster the next day!

    ReplyDelete