Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo #2


This is the second part of my three section series, on the book that I am in love with. I finally got to see the foreign film version of this mega hit book, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". This film got very high critical acclaim, but it won't be receiving praise from me. I was very disappointed in this film version. It had nothing to do with that actors, because I enjoyed all there work. My biggest complaints come from the screenplay. Stieg Larsson must be rolling around in his grave. They got rid of one of my favorite characters. They killed off characters that were alive and well in the book. They changed many plot lines, and change the story around. It wasn't a murder mystery that was nearly as thrilling and entertaining as the book. This was a huge disappointment for me. I know that the book is long as hell, and I am sure they had to cut stuff out. However, some important plots, stories, images, relationships, twists, and love was missing from this film. It was so hard for me as the book was so fresh in my mind, and I just don't understand why they would change something that was so brilliant. This only makes me nervous for the Hollywood version of this film, and I pray that we get it right.

On a positive note, some of the more graphic scenes shot in the foreign film version were exquisite. The acting was so real, and intense. They didn't miss a note, and showed more than I expected. It made me so uncomfortable, that at this moment, I knew that they were doing there work. That the work was honest, and that it did exactly what it was set out to do. That is the only positive I have to say about this film. I think if you haven't read the books, you would probably love this movie!

Fingers are crossed for the American Version of one spectacular book.......

2 comments:

  1. I HATE that! If a book is good enough to be made into a movie, WHY mess with it? Like you said, editing for time is one thing, but I hate when they just totally change the story! Or worse yet, the ending (like they always do with the Jodi Picoult books that are made into movies). Her endings are the best part! And I'm curious about "Dragon Tattoo". It's on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to read this book Nique, you will love it! I hope the American version of the movie is better. Fingers Crossed.....

    ReplyDelete