Sunday, September 26, 2010

Frustrated Actor

I am writing this blog, because I want to document, the low times, as well as the high times in my career. These past two weeks have been a terrible low. As I strangely love to audition, and lately it has been so slow that I have been on one audition in the past two weeks. My manager, said she is having a bit of trouble getting me in for the recent films. Again, type, and my musical resume getting in my way. It is a blessing and curse looking the way I do, because I don't fit any one's mold. I am a multi cultural looking man, and tons of characters are very specific to "type". I fall in the middle for many of these projects. This is a struggle I have no control over, but I believe when it does happen, it will be huge! I can't let being SPECIAL stop me, I just pray that more opportunities come. It is hard to be a talented actor, if no one will even let you in the door to audition. My manager is going to start pushing more, which I think I need, because I know I have the chops. It is also slow in musical theater land, but that is expected as there aren't many roles again, out there for my type. I am learning the art of patience, and sticking to my guns. I don't want to go back to the chorus, it is time to move on. However, I will take a chorus contract if there is a great role I can understudy. Or if it is a featured ensemble role, and that could satisfy my appetite as well. This is still a struggle to get out, ex specially when I have to turn down money, to follow my dream. I am sticking with my dream, and I know this too shall pass. I do have a couple of auditions this week, so, I will just press on, and look forward to my future.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy that we do this to ourselves? I am proud of you for sticking to your guns and moving forward constantly. It may be difficult right now but it will pay off. Think of all the other times that you thought there was no work and it miraculously appears right when you're ready to give up. this is a tough business and you know that.. but you also know that it's just a tiny bump in the road. I hear ya on being ethnic. It's tough.. but it's also a beautiful blessing when the right role comes along.

    Hang in there. I'm proud of you. Keep looking forward....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, JR--I hear ya. I am sorry things have been frustrating...I know it will get better soon. Here's a quote I just read, and thought I'd pass it along:

    "Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up.” - Anne Lamott

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Tracy you are amazing, and know exactly how I feel and know what to say! Thanks for the continuous support.

    Jessica, you are brilliant, and that quote is perfection. I must copy this for my list of quotes, and hang it on my vision board. I love you more!

    ReplyDelete