Sunday, September 5, 2010

Museum Project 3 (The Brooklyn Museum)








On our third museum project, I took Tiffany to The Brooklyn Museum, right up the street from my apartment. It was a beautiful walk as the sun beat our backs. Tiffany always shows up on our museum dates, looking stunning. I love the time I spend with this girl, and I think it is the best idea we have ever had. I know I said we would go to a museum once a month. However, we both have lives, and busy schedules. Therefore our museum dates are when we can get together.

We walk into the stunning museum and it so huge, with so many exhibits, that we didn't get to see the whole thing. However, we chose exhibits that intrigued us. We started with Andy Warhol, and me being from Pittsburgh like Warhol, I was excited to see what the museum had to offer. I will say that was the weakest Warhol exhibit I had ever seen. Maybe I am bias, after seeing the amazing Andy Warhol Museum in my hometown of Pittsburgh. The works they had up, weren't interesting to me at all, and couldn't like a candle to Mr. Warhol's Pittsburgh exhibit.

Then we went through the African exhibit, which was beautiful and intriguing, and I decided that I just love African Art. The masks, the spheres, to the traditional and cultural things I got to see! I want a room in my house dedicated to African Art, it is just so interesting to me.

Finally we went up to floor five, which was my favorite part of the whole museum. I saw so much amazing contemporary pieces, and there were so many things I wanted to hang on my wall. Others that reminded me of my childhood. Pieces that made me sad, and some that made me just want to do cart wheels. I love art when it makes you feel all kinds of emotions, and when you stare into the soul of it, and it takes you to a different place. Tiffany and I had a wonderful time reminiscing on black culture, from jherri curls, to the S curl, to the box, and perms! To the movies we saw, the music we listened to, the colors that made no sense to me. To the colors that took me on a journey. Art...

I had the privilege of watching the TV show "Work Of Art" on Bravo, and I got to see the winners exhibit. Abdi Farah, won the whole thing, and his work of art is playing The Brooklyn Museum. I told Tiffany, that I couldn't leave until I seen his exhibit, and it was even better in person than on the TV show! You have to go see this new talents work, as it touched me in a current but yet a renaissance sort of way. This man has found himself and has such a prevalent story to tell. I'm glad I got to see it.

Tiffany and I left the museum with so much to discuss, and with a better understanding of each other. I loved the Brooklyn museum, and I need to walk up the street to see the rest of it. If you end up in Brooklyn, you have to check out this cultural genius of a building.

No comments:

Post a Comment