Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Billy Elliott


I was very excited to arrive at the theater, I like to get there early to read the playbill, go to the bathroom, and people watch. When I walk down the aisle to find that I'm sitting 9 roles back on the center aisle! I was amazed and thrilled, and looking around me the place was jammed packed. It was so hard to get a ticket to Billy Elliott over my layoff. It was sold out almost every night I tried, but Saturday Matinee, they had three tickets available. I jumped at the chance to see my favorite movie live and converted into a musical.

I will begin this next paragraph, by stating that Billy Elliott is my new favorite musical of all times! That is a big statement, coming from a guy who has seen more musicals then most theater goers would dream of seeing. I was taking on a ride, like no other show, has ever taken me. The kids in the show were funny, honest, pure, and amazing. Tommy Batchelor (The Billy I saw) was the most beautiful young dancer, with an innocence, comic timing, and stage presence that adults with Broadway contracts don't have. An old school stage quality, that covered the audience, from the beginning to the end. There was one point when he messed up, (I'm sure the rest of the audience didn't know, but my eye picked it up immediately) He got a little off with the jump rope scene. The boy stayed right there in the moment with a smile on his face, and picked it right back up, a couple seconds later, right on cue! I commend those Billy Elliott's they have aerobic dance numbers in the show, that make the Cassie dance seem like she is just standing still. The rest of the company from the ensemble, principals, Will Chase, to the little girls, everyone was so brilliant! The staging of the show was amazing as well, and very different for a musical. I have never seen anything like it. Each set change had choreography that worked with the piece. It was very well constructed, not to mention the book has so much heart. You can't help but cry at some points. It was interesting because I usually like singer shows, when people are belting it out. No one up there is in this show for there voice, and I didn't care. It was about the acting in this company! SUPERB, and the journey of this beautiful boy, with a passion, anyone can relate to it. One last person to mention, the man who played the Dad, was so so so so honest and talented. WOW is all I can say. I loved my Billy Elliott experience, and I advice everyone (if you can get a ticket) to run to see this extraordinary show.

No comments:

Post a Comment