Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Proud, Happy, Tears!

Last night, I went to the theater to see friends on stage, perform for there lives! It was amazing to go back to a show, that I have seen before, and see it again, but this time with many friends on that stage! The piece of work I saw was "In The Heights", and I enjoyed it more the second time, then I did my first go around! The energy of the show is so fresh and great. You feel like everyone up there wants to be on that stage. Well, mostly everyone, there where a couple of people I saw marking, but not many, and for the most part the joy of the piece was there. "In The Heights" is such a simple tale, and in this case--less is more--works for me! I truly enjoyed Javier Munoz performance, you would think it would be hard to be a replacement (with big shoes to fill) in that show, but he was superb. Chris Jackson and Robin De Jesus, was brilliant as always! Olga Merediz, and Andrea Burns are always top notch!!!! There was one casting choice I would have done without, but I won't mention it, and I will keep it to myself, however, SHE was fine, but I'm sure there was better out there. That is all I will say!

Now one of my x-cast members (Gabrielle Ruiz) who played Diana on the national tour of A Chorus Line is an understudy in the show! She was on for Nina the lead last night! When she walked out on that stage, I got so nervous for her. I don't know why, cause I know how extremely talented she is! She opened her mouth to sing, and heaven came out of her voice! She sounded so pure, so strong, so amazing. My eyes began to swell up like a proud dad. You see this is her dream show, and she talked about how she wanted to play Nina so badly while she was in A Chorus Line! To actually see her make her Broadway Debut, and to see first hand, everything she talked about come to life on that stage. Has touched me in so many ways, that I can't even express. She was beautiful, and triumphant last night, and I'm very proud of her.

Secondly our Paul from the A Chorus Line tour, (Kevin Santos) is also an understudy, but he was in the ensemble of the show last night. It was great to see him up on that stage. He danced so beautifully, and his presence was stellar and star studded as always. There was a scene in particular, when he wears this "smooth criminal" suit, and the grandma is singing her face off, and I couldn't keep my eyes off his lines, and the way he moved. BRAVO!!!!! I say "BRAVO"!!!!!

Lastly, a dear friend of mine from "Mamma Mia", (Rick Negron) who has many Broadway credits, is now playing the dad "In The Heights", and it was great to see him..I expected him to be the star that he is, because he is so seasoned, and gifted. It was amazing to see his work in this show, because he too, during the "Mamma Mia" days, talked about how he wanted this. Here he is making it happen, and that was awesome!

I am so proud and inspired by the theater once again, and it is good to see friends, and watch before my very eyes there dreams come true! I also had a couple other friends in the ensemble, that I don't want to forget, they were beautiful as well on stage! The show as a whole still has so much heart. The cast is stellar, and I suggest everyone to go see "In The Heights"!

1 comment:

  1. that is just so amazing. Many many kudos to Kev and Gabi!!!!!

    ReplyDelete