Friday, December 11, 2009

The Soap Opera Dies

I'm sure many of you who have read my blog know how I one day dreamed of being on a soap opera! It is very interesting, how that dream is dying, as well, as how fast the soap opera is fading away into the dust! I always wanted to be a soap star who does musical theater once in a while! That sounds like the ideal life, you get to do scene work everyday, and take a break sometimes to sing and dance on Broadway! For someone like me who loves a challenge and is all about the work, this would have been ideal. You can also be a celebrity, and not lose your life!! I'm sad to say, it seems the soap opera is dying a slow death. "All My Children", just moved to L.A. on Friday, leaving New York City in the dust. "The Guiding Light", light is turned off, as it left New York City, like three months ago, and is now off the air! Now I just heard "As The World Turns", the world will not be turning anymore, and it is closing the end of this year! Leaving New York City with only one soap opera left, "One Life To Live"!!!! That sucks big time for all of us New York City actors, leaving us with no soap opera work to be had! Killing my dream, and stamping it's big toe all over it, and smashing that dream into shattered pieces! Well, there are some soap operas such as "General Hospital", "All My Children", and "The Young and The Restless", and all filmed in LA... I guess I can still be a soap star, but how do I do double duty??? I can't be on a soap and Broadway from the West Coast? I guess I need to dream bigger???? I'm OK with that, because the world is at my feet to be had! Poor Poor Poor Soap Opera folks out of work!!!!! How much longer does the hit soap operas have? Are they all doomed to death? This is crazy, do housewives not watch soaps during the day any more? What is going on? Well, at the least, I can say the only soap opera that I still admittedly watch, is still on the air, and going strong. I would have to move to L.A. for that dream, but I can still have it in the back of my head. Oh, if you don't know, that is "The Young and The Restless", yes I admit it, I watch it almost everyday!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. haha, I love that you watch that every day, JR. And how strange about the soaps--what is going on?

    ReplyDelete