Saturday, June 13, 2009

What is your ethnic background?

The most common question I receive, when I'm out or people meet me for the first time. What are you? I say human, and laugh, and I don't think they find it too funny. I know, it is a curious thing, when you see someone with my look. I actually, hate that question, because it is over heard in my life. Nevertheless, I answer it, and now I'm starting to change my answer. I'm going to start just saying I'm African American. That is what I am mostly, my mom's mother= American Indian, Irish, and Black! My mom's dad= Black! My dad's mom=Black, and my dad's father= Puerto Rican! If you add that all together, it = Black! That is how I was raised and identify with. Therefore, that is who, and what I am.

Funny thing is when I go on for the role of Richie in A Chorus Line, they cut the line "And I'm Black", from me. Cause they say I don't read it from stage. In my eyes, that is rascist, who cares what I read, that is who I am. I can say I'm Puerto Rican, when, I'm on for Paul, but, I'm only a quarter Puerto Rican in real life. Yet, when a Caucasian goes on for Paul, they still say they are Puerto Rican, when they aint at all. Or better yet, when they cast an Asian American on Broadway in the role of Paul, he can say he is Puerto Rican. UGH, frustrated!!!!

Race has always been such a touchy subject for me. I would just say I'm Puerto Rican, so people will leave me alone. As I get older, I want to be known for who I am. An African American male, who is just fair skinned. And mixed, just like most people in America! I'm so proud of my culture, and love where I come from. SO HERE IT IS, J.R. Whittington The African American Male, whether people, like it or not!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. And you are beautiful!!!!

    Seriously, I love your look. It is unique and striking.

    And by now, we are all sort of everything, right?

    ReplyDelete